Partial dentures are used when there are a few teeth missing in the jaw. Partial dentures restore the missing teeth in the arch and use the existing teeth as support.
What Are Partial Dentures Made Of?
Partial dentures can be made of a metal framework on which acrylic gums and plastic teeth are added or they can be made with a flexible base that has no metal at all. Each version has its own indications for use which can be further discussed in detail during your dental exam with Dr. Leo Aghajanian, dentist in Glendale, CA.
Benefits of partial dentures
Partial dentures provide significant benefits in both aesthetic and functional terms. Some of these
- Psychological benefits, as they improve the person’s self-esteem
- Replace teeth that were already in a poor condition
- Speech improvement
- They last from 5 to 10 years
- It’s the cheapest solution to replace missing teeth
How to clean dentures
- Wash your mouth and dentures after each meal.
- Dentures must be cleaned at least once a day with a special prosthetics brush and some dish washing liquid. (If the metal part turns matte, it means the denture has bacterial plaque that can cause cavities.) Don't use toothpaste or alcohol because toothpaste creates scratches and rubbing alcohol cracks the acrylic.
Dentures Before & After Gallery